Re: I am: Unix sysadmin. I need: Basic DBA skills

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 2 Oct 2001 16:31:37 -0700

pel_at_spaceship.com (Paul Lange) wrote in message news:<6ea0366c.0110010844.5a563bec_at_posting.google.com>...
> I am an experienced Unix system administrator. I need basic DBA
> skills to for rudimentary troubleshooting and manipulation of Oracle
> databases. How should I go about obtaining these skills?

Reading and doing, preferably with a helpful experienced DBA available!

Get ahold of the Oracle Concepts manual. Look on your docs cd. Also, all the Oracle docs are available at otn.oracle.com, registration required, I believe.

> * Basic maintenance skills for starting and stopping a database, and
> examining basic operating features of the database.

Get one or more of the administration books such as by Ault or Loney.

> * Basic troubleshooting skills to assess general problems with a
> database, or at least to isolate an issue to a certain area or feature
> in an Oracle database.

Highly recommend the Oracle Press Tuning Oracle book by Corey etal. It is especially good for just sitting down and plowing through all the stuff. There is a troubleshooting book from Oracle Press, but I'm not sure how good it would be to _learn_ troubleshooting.

> * Basic backup and recovery methods.

Oracle Press Backup book by Velpuri. The docs are good too, but have too much stuff about RMAN and obscure things.

> * Basic creation and modification of database tables.

Do it!

Register at metalink.oracle.com, and drill down to the dba scripts. There are many examples of how to do things like assess the general state of a db (some have come down from an obsolete collection called Tales From The Scrypt, so a search of TFTS can be interesting). You will need a customer support identifier to get started, See Your Database Administrator.

> I am not sure where to start, if there is a book I can look at that
> will get me on the right track, or if I should a training course or
> two.

Concepts manual, and if you are into linux go for the LCIS book with a cd for running oracle (probably want to use SUSE for that OS).

Training is ok, IF you can get someone else to pay for it, and are the sort to get a lot out of those things.

> I appreciate any helpful responses to this matter.

HTH Received on Tue Oct 02 2001 - 18:31:37 CDT