Re: pros and cons of using stored procedures

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 19:42:41 +0400

I'd recommend on stored procs if your application's gonna be database-intensive. You may also eliminate the need for 3rd layer (application server or a separate server pages processor) by using Oracle PSP (for small and rather static design projects) or our Dynamic PSP (for anything bigger than some 10-20 screens). Both run within Oracle itself and interface with the HTTP servers taking requests from them and feeding back complete HTML in response. Oracle includes Apache-based HTTP server and mod_plsql module for calling stored procedures and feed results to web client and we have created an IIS4/5 filter for the very same purpose (though it's designed specifically for Dynamic PSP and may not be compatible with Oracle PSP).