Re: pros and cons of using stored procedures

From: Clemens Schulz <clesch_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 12:38:53 +0200

"Rusty Wright" <rusty_at_socrates.Berkeley.EDU> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:uie66aupqhv.fsf_at_socrates.Berkeley.EDU...
> Can anyone recommend a book, web page, etc. that explains the pros
 and
> cons of using stored procedures, as opposed to putting the code in
> your front-end code? The background info is that a group of us
 are
> designing a database and we'll be using Oracle, and for the
 front-end
> we'll be using a web interface probably with the PHP scripting
> language as the glue.
>
> One of the people on the team is a proponent of using stored
> procedures and another is against it. Obviously, none of us are
> database experts and I'd like to be able to read up on stored
> procedures so that we can argue the issue intelligently.
>
> Thanks

http://www.google.com/search?q=when+to+use+stored+procedures&hl=en&s afe=off&start=10&sa=N

http://www.anesi.com/v41009.htm

Adding to the points listed under the last URL, in my opinion usage of stored procedures seriously affect portability of applications.

The problem is that stored procedures are to be reimplemented for each RDBMS you are porting to. This is because each RDBMS uses a different stored procedures languages.

What it can come down to is that you shove application/business logic into your RDBMS. Wether that is a good thing to do certainly depends on the requirements, but keep in mind what the primary task of an RDBMS is, and wether "misusing" it for anything else is really desirable.

--

With best regards

Clemens Schulz