Re: Meaning of session rows in these tables?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:32:35 +0200

"Jeff Kish" <jeff.kish_at_ait-mmii.com> wrote in message news:ctckotgfkt0ms913smullfoebkm81noqjg_at_4ax.com...
> Greetings.
>
> Using this query:
> select sid,user#,username,schema#,schemaname,osuser,machine, type from
> v$session;
>
> I get back rows like this:
>
> SID USER# USERNAME SCHEMA# SCHEMANAME
> OSUSER MACHINE TYPE
> 1 0 0 SYS
> UNKNOWN OMNISERV BACKGROUND
> 2 0 0 SYS
> UNKNOWN OMNISERV BACKGROUND
> 3 0 0 SYS
> UNKNOWN OMNISERV BACKGROUND
> 4 0 0 SYS
> UNKNOWN OMNISERV BACKGROUND
> 5 0 0 SYS
> UNKNOWN OMNISERV BACKGROUND
> 6 0 0 SYS
> USER
> 8 19 GM154 19 GM154
> Jeff AITCORP1\VECTRA_JTK USER
>

> Can I use this information to determine if two connections are
> connecting to the same Oracle instance or not? Since in this situation
> I had only a single connection to a 7.3.4 database, would I just use
> one of the rows with the TYPE = 'BACKGROUND' to determine what machine
> is being connected to by the session?
>
> Thanks
> Jeff

Definitely not.
Type = BACKGROUND are processes like DBWR, LGWR, PMON, SMON etc. Oracle is two-task. v$session lists the client side, v$process the server side
To check whether two connections are connecting to the same instance (which I read as : whether the instance has more than one connection), you simply need to count all v$session records where type = 'USER' and maybe with state='ACTIVE'

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Aug 27 2001 - 07:32:35 CDT