Meaning of session rows in these tables?

From: Jeff Kish <jeff.kish_at_ait-mmii.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 08:01:49 -0400

Greetings.

Using this query:
select sid,user#,username,schema#,schemaname,osuser,machine, type from v$session;

I get back rows like this:

SID	USER#	USERNAME	SCHEMA#	SCHEMANAME
OSUSER	MACHINE		TYPE
1	0			0		SYS
UNKNOWN	OMNISERV		BACKGROUND
2	0			0		SYS
UNKNOWN	OMNISERV		BACKGROUND
3	0			0		SYS
UNKNOWN	OMNISERV		BACKGROUND
4	0			0		SYS
UNKNOWN	OMNISERV		BACKGROUND
5	0			0		SYS
UNKNOWN	OMNISERV		BACKGROUND
6	0			0		SYS
					USER
8	19	GM154		19		GM154
Jeff		AITCORP1\VECTRA_JTK	USER

Can I use this information to determine if two connections are connecting to the same Oracle instance or not? Since in this situation I had only a single connection to a 7.3.4 database, would I just use one of the rows with the TYPE = 'BACKGROUND' to determine what machine is being connected to by the session?

Thanks
Jeff Received on Mon Aug 27 2001 - 07:01:49 CDT