Really weird question

From: Margaret Burwell <aj739_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 16 Aug 2001 19:16:32 GMT

I have a table with approximately 6000 rows in an 8.1.7 database on an HP UX server.

I run a query SELECT COL1 FROM TABLE1;

Then I run a new query SELECT COL1, COL2 FROM TABLE1; The rows are in exactly the same order as when I ran the first query.

Next I run the query SELECT COL1, COL2, COL3 FROM TABLE1; The rows are no longer in the same order.

Does anyone have an explanation of why this happens?

Marg Received on Thu Aug 16 2001 - 14:16:32 CDT