Oracle Personal Lite 8.1.7 service name limitations?

From: Mark Nagel <mnagel_at_powerhousetechnology.com>
Date: 10 Aug 2001 12:45:15 -0700

We ran into a case where we had to disconnect our PC from the network in order to perform an installation of Oracle Lite 8.1.7. If we boot up the PC off of the network all is well; however, if we boot while connected to the network we are unable to connect up to the databases (tnsping shows that the listeners are running).

I saw a posting in one of the Oracle newsgroups mentioning a service name length limitation of 30 characters; we're exceeding this number.

Does anyone know for certain what the string length limitation is? If I am exceeding this limitation, can I get around this problem by using SIDs (if so, how do I go about configuring all of the "ora" files for this)?

Thanks in advance,
Mark Nagel Received on Fri Aug 10 2001 - 14:45:15 CDT