Re: how does amazon.com implement its smart book suggestion depending on previous purchases by customers ?

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_qwest.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:05:31 GMT

This is a typical example of data mining. I'm not quite sure how Amazon.com performs this, but this is how I would handle this issue....

First, I'd copy the sales data into a datawarehouse. From there, I would use data mining tools to mine for specific criteria. In this case, I'd want to know that if people bought book X, what other books are they likely to buy? Once I have mined that information, I'd store the results in a table in the online database. (this can all be done in batch mode) That way, I don't have to constantly mine the information. And looking it up will be pretty quick!

HTH,
Brian