Re: help: ORA-01034 Oracle not available

From: TurkBear <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:49:35 -0500

Here is a more detailed set of messages about this error:

ORA-01034ORACLE not available

Cause:ORACLE was not started up. Possible causes are:

·The SGA requires more space than was allocated for it.

·The operating system variable pointing to the instance is improperly defined.

Action:Refer to accompanying messages for possible causes and correct the problem mentioned in the other messages. Retry after ORACLE has been initialized. If ORACLE has been initialized, verify that ORACLE was linked correctly. Also, refer to the installation or user's guide for additional information about this error.

Also, the database service can be running without the instance being started.. Try

( from a cmd prompt )
set ORACLE_SID=[inset your sid name here] svrmgrl
connect internal
startup pfile=[your init<sid>.ora file]

If it starts and opens ok, then the database itself has no problem ( like the lack of SGA space referred to in the above messages) and the problem probably is in the registry settings for auto-starting the instance on startup of the service..

hth