Re: When to use partitioned tables ?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 06:23:28 GMT

There are several reasons for partitioning, not limited to the following three:

  1. Size & related performance - there is no definite size when you should start partitioning. If performance seems to be suffering and the typical query could benefit from up front separation, then consider it. For example, if you can isolate the data by geography or date range and most queries look at that isolation level, then partitioning might be able to reduce the effective data set size simply by throwing away the partitions that are not needed.
  2. Administration - you want to administer the table in pieces, perhaps to keep the underlying table up while maintaining indexes or whatever on a segment of the table.
  3. Data management - especially useful in date partitioning; quickly add the latest data and/or quickly throw away the oldest data without dramatically impacting your users

/Hans