Re: Oracle server 8.1.7

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:07:54 +0200

That disappeared because too many posters here - refuse to do anything to try to resolve their problems themselves and see Usenet as *first* resort, instead as of second - refuse to read the manuals and just hack away - ask the same questions over and over again which have been answered *zillions* of times, because they refuse to search the newsgroup archives.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Fred Pierce" <fpierce_at_avialantic.com> wrote in message news:3B29FF84.12C023C4_at_avialantic.com...
> Yes - I've often thought about posting a question but my terror of the
> Pirahnas is too great 8-)
>
> What ever happened to "there's no such thing as a stupid question?"
>
> fdp

> Fred Pierce (DNRC) Oracle/Sybase DBA
> www.Avialantic.com fpierce_at_avialantic.com
> MAAM Planes, Trains & Automobiles Transportation Show Sept. 22-23 2001
> www.maam.org/transhow.html
> World Airshow News - www.wanews.com
>
> Jonathan Lewis wrote:
> >
> > That's a little severe, Daniel.
> >
> > Bearing in mind that the Internet is an
> > international arena, it's possible that the
> > original poster may have been using a
> > second language and used the word
> > 'memory' when they were really thinking
> > 'disk space'. In which case I recall that
> > I once recovered around 500MB of disc
> > by deleting all the excess garbage that
> > Oracle dumped in the $ORACLE_HOME
> > when all I wanted was the server executable.
> >
> > Possibly in migrating a small system from
> > 8.0.6 to 8.1.7 the poster has not noticed
> > that Oracle has introduced a default 20MB
> > memory demand for the Java_Pool_Size.
> > It is perfectly reasonable to run a small
> > system on 64MB of SGA - in which case
> > a 20MB increment would be a nuisance.
> >
> > May I bring to your attention the wise
> > words of Thumper's father -
> >
> > "If you can't say anything nice, don't
> > say anything at all."
> >
> > Though I think in the arena of an
> > educational environment (such as
> > a technical usenet newsgroup) this
> > should perhaps be modified to:
> >
> > "If you have to say something nasty,
> > try and say it nicely".
> >
> > Your post contains one important hint,
> > however, but lacks suitable precision:
> >
> > > Go into the instance's initSID.ora file and put in the
> > > smallest parameters you can.
> >
> > If you have no use for Java, set java_pool_size = 65536
> >
> > --
> > Jonathan Lewis
> > Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
> >
> > Practical Oracle 8i: Building Efficient Databases
> > Publishers: Addison-Wesley
> >
> > Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

 <3B2949C4.8EB32ABB_at_exesolutions.com>...