Re: MS Access usefulness and size restrictions

From: Albert Kallal <kallal_at_msn.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 23:23:27 -0600

> Access starts to falter when you go over 5 users (this was actually
 measured
> by us) and when you start to go to a large number of records and/or large
> database file size.

As mentioned, many people have experienced much larger seat use. Thus the question then becomes what was being done, and more importantly..*how* it was being done. Why would some people experience such larger difference in the number users? How does one come up with the number of 5?.

> Maybe I am pampered because we switched to Oracle, but your statement is
> absolutely false. Access crumbles way too easily. It is by far the least
> stable and least capable database I have ever used.

Hum, I never seen a product with more scalability. When correctly used, Access makes a great front end for Oracle, or for whatever. In fact, I'll bet access is used a as front end for Oracle, more than any *other* non Oracle product in the market.

> My old Clipper programs are still running (one with 30 million records and
> counting), the Access systems have all been replaced by more robust
> solutions.

That is strange, seeing as how we can keep our Access application, and scale it up to Sql server, or even Oracle. Do you actually think that Clipper is a better solution here?...wow? I am missing something here....clipper is scalable? Is this your advice as a informed developer? Clipper is so simple when compared to a modern language like vb. In addition, the vb code allows the use of sql to create record sets *in* code (ie: the data, and code work seamlessly with sql) . I developed in dbase, and moved on to FoxPro for years. . When sql was added to FoxPro, it was great, *but* only for reporting. The sql *still* was not "part" of the system. (I could not fire off some sql to retrieve some records to process via code). I have to admit, that after all these years...sql is still the only thing I have used that has not changed! (of course, the modern version of visual FoxPro does follow the new data model....but certainly not clipper)

Surely, you are not arguing that Clipper is a more robust and scale solution then Access/Oracle . I mean, Access is just a front end to whatever ever database you are using...is it not?

Build it in Access, and scale it to whatever your need.....what could be more easy?

--
Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada