Re: MS Access usefulness and size restrictions

From: wayne <no_at_email.please.com>
Date: 09 Jun 2001 13:23:06 GMT

> What other product in market has that kind of nice mix?

You're talking about a "nice mix" Access does not have! It if a facade!

> And 2) The nature of Access is to want to do everything for
> > you, so writing SQL pass-through queries and making it all work
 flawlessly
> > is not trivial in Access. (Just based on my experiences and those of my
> > colleagues).
> As compared to what?.It is only a big task to those lack the skills.

Or those who want to do it quickly.

> In
> addition, the current version of Access allows you to develop in manor
 that
> will scale correctly (that is what the MDSE is all about....it is a sql 7
> compatible server.). Any ADP projects should be created with this in mind.

That is exactly why I suggested MSDE and was telling the guy to avoid Access. MSDE and Access are two separate things!

> Ok, I understand now...however, I am not convinced on that one. Clipper
> stored data as a fixed length, where as Access uses a variable length
 record
> structure.

Given all the data corruption that results, I would say this is a huge liability.

Also, if I import Clipper data into MS Access I end up taking up more space. What's the great thing about that?

> To come here and boast about clipper being solid, and then ignore people
 who
> have had in excess 100 people using access without a server is really
> puffing.

Just talking about my own experiences with it. I have had crises inthe past with Access and the best solution has been to turn Access-based application into Oracle ones. Access simply buckles under heavier loads.

> an array. (you could not do this in Fox when you used sql). Again, this
 also
> why I believe that JET would perform much faster than clipper in a large
> application. (this is because code execution speed is not the problem...it
> is bandwidth...and jet is way a ahead of clipper here...and our data files
> will be 1/2 the size).

Two things again: 1) In our experience Access transfers much more unnecessary data over the network, and 2) We use special Clipper libraries for indexing which speed up data access greatly. Whatever.

> Well, that depends....does it not? I am simply stating that Access is a
> front end...and you have great flexibility. Also, when you create a
 project
> for use with the MDSE, your design will be one for sql server.

Well yes, that's what I was saying to begin with: Use MSDE, not Access.

>If you need
> something larger, then scale up to a larger server....but the fact is,
 that
> Access does ship with a server engine.

Not really. If you are talking baout MSDE, then get it from msdn.midrosoft.com, it does not come with Access itself. OK maybe in Office XP it may be packaged in?

> Again, that nonsense if you use the MDSE. The real issue here is to create
> ADP project for use with MDSE for a small design, you end up with
 something
> that works for larger design.

Look, we were talking baout Access as a back-end. You're just shifting the point here; answering a different question. Received on Sat Jun 09 2001 - 08:23:06 CDT