Re: MS Access usefulness and size restrictions

From: Albert Marshall <albert.marshall_at_execfrog.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 17:31:16 +0100

In article <9fsdag$1oc_at_dispatch.concentric.net>, wayne <no_at_email.please.com> writes
>> As mentioned, many people have experienced much larger seat use. Thus the
>> question then becomes what was being done, and more importantly..*how* it
>
>You ansswered your own question: It depends on how you are using it. I used
>it for processing lots of financial data and it broke with 4-5 users with
>250,000 daily appends in batch and mid-size querying.
>
>Another application broke with 8 users in heavy transactional use -- about
>1000 updates an hour, 500 inserts an hour on mid-sized (1000 bytes) records.

And I recently had Oracle fall over on me when I tried to append 100,000 records to a table. (It regularly put up error messages at the 70,000 mark.) I'm pretty sure that changing the transaction segment settings would have helped, but it made me realise that even "heavy-duty" DBMSs are not perfect.

Funnily enough I've just finished down sizing an Oracle app to Access/Jet. The client (BP-Amoco, a world-class oil company) wanted something easier to use and more maintainable than what they had.

Getting religious over what software to use is one of the most stupid things I know.

--
Albert Marshall
Database Developer