Error just after install

From: Joel A. Stevens <joelst_at_nsis.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 19:49:15 -0500

Hello-
I am underway with a trial version of Oracle 8.0.6 on an IBM AIX box. The Installer left me with what looks to be a fine install. I do not yet have any database created. I simply want to get a sanity check to verify that things are in place. Per the Oracle documentation, I login as oracle, run "svrmgrl" followed by "connect internal" and "startup" and am met with a quick error message of:
ORA-02899 smscre Cannot create SGA with Extended Shared Memory Feature.
IBM AIX RISC/System/6000 Error 12: Not enough space. In checking my existing file systems, I have at least 10 MB free in the "/" (root) directory and well over 200 MB free in the file system where I installed Oracle. I have not yet created any database, only installed the program code. I can certainly startup SQL*Plus but am looking for a file system or area where Oracle needs more room and does not have what it needs.
I can increase file system sizes and keep chasing this as the source of the problem but am wondering if this is symptomatic of a more general config problem or alternatively would certainly increase the necessary file system if I could find out which one is too small.
Thanks for any help on this one.

Joel A. Stevens
joelst_at_nsis.net Received on Sun Jun 03 2001 - 19:49:15 CDT