Need to implement password composition restrictions - 28003 issue with VERIFY_FUNCTION

From: Michael Dodd <doddme_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:25:24 -0500

We receive ORA-28003 messages when users try to

ALTER USER self IDENTIFIED BY password;

After implementing VERIFY_FUNCTION in the profile in 8.1.6. and above.

Has anyone any suggestion on how to get around this- we have a serious audit point we must meet and we cannot support OCI calls through DLLs or require users use the PASSWord function in SQL*Plus.

Currently our users go through a web page in response to a message advising they are in EXPIRED (GRACE), it utilizes the ALTER USER function.

We have gotten around it at one server by granting ALTER ANY USER - that is not something we want our users having.

I'm looking for a substitute plan to implement composition controls - through a Database Trigger? A pl/sql package call to the OCI function. Received on Sat Jun 02 2001 - 19:25:24 CDT