Re: newbie - Win. ME and Per. Oracle8i or Lite?

From: Daniel Morgan <danmorg_at_sc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 23:41:47 GMT

Are you sure you have enough hard drive space and enough memory? Does your computer satisfy the minimum requirements?

At http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/8i_personal/content.html there are two versions of Oracle 8i Personal: One for Windows NT/2000 and another one for Windows 98.

Are you using the correct one?

For Oracle8i Personal Edition for Windows 98, you need at least 64 MB of RAM.
To use the oracle installer and database configuration assistant at the same time, you need 96MB.

Oracle recommends 128 MB or a higher amount of RAM. Personally, I wouldn't run Oracle 8i on less than 128MB of RAM.

You have to have at least 510MB to1GB of hard drive space available. Also, the system drive (the drive Windows is installed) needs to have at least 15 MB hard drive space available.

If you want to change operating systems, choose Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows 2000.
Oracle 8i works fine on Windows 2000 - you do need lots of RAM and hard drive space though - say 128 MB of RAM and at least 1 GB of hard drive space Just make sure you only install the Personal Oracle designed for that operating system.

Installing Oracle 8i on Linux has a big learning curve. If you have to install Oracle on Linux, I would recommend using Red Hat Linux 6.2 (don't bother with 7.x).