Re: PLSQL for MS Sql server devs?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 00:27:55 -0700

duanez wrote:

> I am transitioning from MS Sql server's t-SQL to Oracle's PL SQL
> (incld Oracle Web). I'd like to find a book or faq that can help me
> with the different concepts, programming practices and concepts.
>
> For example, i get confused over what we mean by instance and schema.
> Is an Oracle Instance the equivalent to a MS Sql Server Database? or
> the Server itself? And when we spek of a schema in Oracle, do we mean
> that that is a database, which is a subset of the Instance? In MS SQL
> server we had the heirarchy go SERVER.DATABASE.OBJECT. In Oracle is it
>
> INSTANCE.SCHEMA.OBJECT?
>
> I installed Oracle 8i personal edition at home. The documentation
> refers sometimes to a 'database' but this seems interchangeable with
> the concept of an Instance. So can an Oracle Database Server have > 1
> instances each with > 1 schemas?
>
> other questions i have are more directly related to programming
> practices in PL SQL. In MS SQL server, we relied heavily on #temp
> tables whereas in PL SQL i noticed (from other people's code) there is
> great emphasis on cursors. How do you deal with no temp tables? Can a
> PL SQL function return a 'table' or a recordset datatype as a result?
> And then that rs be like table object and included in joins to other
> objects?
>
> If anyone has writen an FAQ or a Book with a title like "PL SQL for
> ex-MS SQL Server Developers" that'd be great. If not, i'd like help
> starting one.
> thanks

I am not aware of any books that are written to specifically help someone schooled in SQL Server learn Oracle. And much of the reason is that beyond superficial similarities ... they are both SQL based RDBMSs ... they are very different animals.

If you want to write efficient code, rather than just port the application over, I'd advise you to stop doing what you are doing as it almost always leads to lousy code, leading to lousy performance, leading to people who can't figure out why Oracle is a better product.

Instead just use the TSQL to write specs and then use Oracle's features to write the best possible application that performs the same job. You will be far happier with the result.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sun May 13 2001 - 02:27:55 CDT