Re: PLSQL for MS Sql server devs?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 20:13:24 GMT

An instance is Oracle running. An instance has a database. A database can have multiple schemas. (tablespaces, to add to the confusion, are logical storage and datafiles are physical storage with a datafile in a tablespace. A tablespace consists of one or more datafiles. A schema can have objects stored in one or more tablespaces. Schemas can even be in the same tablespace) A database even starts with mutiple schemas.

You connect to a database and then you reference an object by schema.object name. If however you are George logged in as George and are interested in George's tables then you do not have to specify the schema; it defaults to the George - bit it won't hurt.

You don't have to use temp tables in Oracle. The concurrency model in Oracle is much more robust and readers don't block other readers or writers. So a cursor is a very useful thing. Yes, you can return a cursor or a result set from a function (see documentation for ref cursors). Yes, in Oracle 8i there are global temporary tables but I have never had to use them.(nor felt the need).

Probably the best place to look is the online documentation the Application developer's guide. It is all in HTML and so pretty easy to navigate. Jim

.