Multi table update query problem

From: Jonathan Lord <jdlord_at_equiplease.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 16:16:14 -0500

I am in the process of a data migration and am trying to convert from an old to a new schema. Various items in the old schema like state codes, nation codes, etc. were character values that now have been normalized into support tables with a numeric primary key. I am working on setting the new values of the normalized keys into a temporary table so that I can build tuples in the new schema to get the data moved. When I try to update the temporary table with the following sql, oracle chokes and says that my sub query is returning more than one row.

update ardata.addrtemp set ardata.addrtemp.druidnation = ( select lunation.druidnation
from ardata.addrtemp , lunation
where addrtemp.country = lunation.nationpostalabbr );

The attempt here is to link the temp table to the new nation table based on a character string to get the id of that tuple in the nation table that contains the character string as an abbreviation for the nation. Once that numeric value is returned, I want it to update the corresponding value in the temp table.

This should be trivial, but I have searched high and low through the doc for assistance, and didn't find an example even remotely resembling this activity.

advTHANKSance

Jonathan Received on Fri May 11 2001 - 16:16:14 CDT