Re: Loading XBASE file (*.dbf) into an Oracle table

From: Mike S. <no email>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:40:00 -0700

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:45:16 +0200, "Jon" <jzuazoa_at_nexo.es> wrote:

Jon,

Assuming you have a xBase program, and not just a .DBF file someone else gave you, can do this by exporting to a text file and then importing with SQL*Loader. Using the table ZIP_ZONE as an example, the dBase command

COPY zip_zone TO c:\zips\allzips.txt TYPE SDF

will create a flat text file. I haven't used recent versions of dBase, but this command works in the ancient dBase III Plus, and probably would work in later versions. Once you have the text file, you can load it with a control file similar to

LOAD DATA
INFILE 'c:\zips\allzips.txt'
APPEND
PRESERVE BLANKS
INTO TABLE zip_zone

(origin_zip       POSITION(001:003)   CHAR,
 dest_zip         POSITION(004:006)    CHAR,
 zone                POSITION(007:007)    CHAR,
 intra_bmc      POSITION(008:008)    CHAR)

HTH Mike S.