Re: Quick question about table partitioning?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:56:58 +0800

Kev.- wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The table I have will become very large over time 50+ million rows.
> Would I be better off partitioning the table to get better
> performance? If I do this how much speed can I gain from it?
>
> Also I know I have to re-create the table but can I do an insert into
> select * from x even though there is a CLOB column invloved?
>
> I figure if I have the partitions on the category ids this would help
> the query as it would only have to search on that category within the
> partition. but how would it work if I wanted to search across
> multiple categories at one time?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kev.-

Whilst the potential performance gains require a more thorough investigation, there is also a strong case for partitioning just on a management perspective... I'd rather rebuild 10 indexes on 5 millions records, than 1 index on 50 million records...

hth
connor

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"