Re: Problems when exporting from 8.1.6 and importing on 8.1.5

From: Jim Gregory <Jim.Gregory_at_ncr.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:16:58 -0400

Generally, export/import is not backwards compatible - you cannot import into a lower version database using a higher version export file. The general work around, if feasible for you, is to run the 8.1.5 catalog scripts in the 8.1.6 database and then use the 8.1.5 export utility to export the data. This file will then be importable into the 8.1.6 database.

However, the error usually indicates the version incompatibility. I have occasionally generated corrupt export files from 8.1.6 when running them through a compress utility to save space. Sometimes the export header information gets "lost" in the process. This will generate the error you are seeing. You might try an 8.1.6 import with the show command to see if the export really is corrupt ( as far as 8.1.6 is concerned )

--
Jim Gregory
Principal Consultant for Keane, Inc.

Opinions are my own and do not reflect those
of my employer or clients
"Markus Böhmer" <markus.boehmer_at_schaefer-shop.de> wrote in message

> Hi Folks,
>
> I try to import an exportfile generated with Oracle 8.1.6 into an 8.1.5
database.
> The error messages are the following:
>
> IMP-00010: not a valid export file, header failed verification
> Cause: Either the file was not generated by Export or it was corrupted.
> Action: If the file was indeed generated by Export, report this an
> Import bug
> and submit the export file to customer support.
>
> IMP-00021: operating system error - error code (dec num, hex 0x num)
> Cause: An operating system error has occurred.
> Action: Look up the referenced message in your operating system-specific
Ora-cle