Re: Help: Can not find name server

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:48:07 GMT

Oracle will only discover "well known" Names Servers. These have to be in the form "oranamesrvr[x].[domain]" where [x] is a number (0-4?) and [domain] is your DEFAULT_DOMAIN. If you have not defined these Names Servers and registered them with DNS, then the discovery process will not find them. Have no fear though! You can manually define them after the discovery process fails.

HTH,
Brian

u132781982_at_spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net wrote:

> we are running names server on one of our
> unix boxes.
> The sqlnet.ora is as follows,
>
> NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = aa.com
> NAMES.PREFERRED_SERVERS =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = bbc)
> (PORT = 1575)))
> NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (ONAMES,tnsnames)
> SQLNET.CRYPTO_SEED =
> 4fhfguweotcadsfdsafjkdsfqp5f201p45mxskdlfdasf
>
> and the names server works fine.
>
> But when I started my NT box, net8, when I select
> command/discover oracle names servers, oracle
> can not find the existing/working oracle names
> server, did I do something wrong? How can I configure
> Net8 on NT to recognize NAMES SERVER on Unix?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> --
> Sent by dbadba62 from hotmail part from com
> This is a spam protected message. Please answer with reference header.

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at
  USGS EROS Data Center
These opinions are my own and do not