Re: pre-installed Oracle server

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 22:55:33 -0800

> I am interested in purchasing a server running a Windows platform with
> oracle preinstalled. Does anyone have any recommendations for this?

I've never seen one. But just on principle I would highly advise not buying one.

The basic installation of Oracle on a Windows platform is about as close to brain-dead as you can get. Put the CD into the coffee cup holder and answer a few prompts on-screen.

The part that takes the time and effort is planning out the database instance itself. No pre installed Oracle database is going to have the block size you need, the SGA size you need, the log files you need, the tablespaces you need, etc. I is just impossible.

Far better you spend your money on a good consulting Oracle DBA to do it right.

Otherwise you will get to spend your money on them later fixing the mess.

The cost may be the same. But one comes with a boat-load of aggravation.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Fri Mar 23 2001 - 00:55:33 CST