Re: OK, I broke into Oracle DBA, now I want to break into...

From: Gilbert W. Pilz, Jr. <gil_at_clion.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 19:01:40 -0800

On 21 Mar 2001 18:29:53 GMT, drodrigu1_at_aol.com (DRODRIGU1) wrote:

>After a 2 1/2 years of working as Oracle DBA, I am beginning to feel the itch
>of becoming an independent consultant. I am giving myself one to two more
>years to learn as much as possible about pros and cons of hacking it on your
>own.
>
>I would like to know for example:
>
>How do I go about getting that first contract?
>What key DBA experiences do I need to have to make a successful transition?
>Contracting vs. subcontracting...which is better?
>Common mistakes made by those new in the business.
>
>I will appreciate very much your thoughts on this matter. Thanks.

I would recommend looking up the Independent Computer Consultants Association chapter near you (start with www.icca.org). Go to a few of their meetings and see if they have what you are looking for.

Gilbert W. Pilz Jr.
Security Architect
Jamcracker, Inc.
gpilz_at_jamcracker.com Received on Wed Mar 21 2001 - 21:01:40 CST