Re: How come my SELECT COUNT(1) takes so long...

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 21:06:41 -0000

Actually there are 35,840 blocks in total, with the HWM just 42- from the top.
Indications are that this is 14 extents
of 2560 block each - so some thought has been paid to getting it right.

What if you had to do dirty block clean out on 35,000 blocks ? 20 blocks per second
seems a bit slow even if they all have to be written, but within the realms of possibility.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases
Publishers:  Addison-Wesley

Reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html