Re: 8.1.7 Upgrade / Migration Woes

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 23:41:24 +0100

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:01:20 -0500, "Daniel Schwartz" <daniel.schwartz_at_remove-this.romeblack.com> wrote:

>To all,
>
>We are in the process of upgrading from version 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 on WinNT
>Server 4.0 SP6. While the upgrade of the software has gone off with no
>hitch, the migration of our databases to version 8.1.7 (using the Migration
>utility) hangs.
>
>Migration starts off OK but after 20-30 minutes the process stalls - we've
>let it run for up to 8 hours with no completion. Memory usage on the box
>goes way up w/Oracle consuming as much as 160MB. CPU usage also goes to
>100%. During the upgrade the box is not supporting any external usage. We
>have tried the import a number of times with the same result. In the most
>recent attempt we deselected the option to have the migration utility
>compile stored proceedures. A full export of the database only takes up
>35MB so the database is not that large.
>
>Also note that when we cancel the process and review the database (DBA
>Studio) to the extent that can determine everything seems fine. That said,
>we would really like the process to successfully complete so that we can be
>sure that the new installation is stable.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>TIA.
>
>Dan Schwartz

I would assume (because that has *always* been true), that if you already have a 8.1.6 database, you don't need to use the migration utility at all (8.1.7 not being a major release). So my question obviously is: why are you using the migration utility on a database which is not in need of migration?

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Fri Mar 02 2001 - 16:41:24 CST