8.1.7 Upgrade / Migration Woes

From: Daniel Schwartz <daniel.schwartz_at_remove-this.romeblack.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:01:20 -0500

To all,

We are in the process of upgrading from version 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 on WinNT Server 4.0 SP6. While the upgrade of the software has gone off with no hitch, the migration of our databases to version 8.1.7 (using the Migration utility) hangs.

Migration starts off OK but after 20-30 minutes the process stalls - we've let it run for up to 8 hours with no completion. Memory usage on the box goes way up w/Oracle consuming as much as 160MB. CPU usage also goes to 100%. During the upgrade the box is not supporting any external usage. We have tried the import a number of times with the same result. In the most recent attempt we deselected the option to have the migration utility compile stored proceedures. A full export of the database only takes up 35MB so the database is not that large.

Also note that when we cancel the process and review the database (DBA Studio) to the extent that can determine everything seems fine. That said, we would really like the process to successfully complete so that we can be sure that the new installation is stable.

Any ideas?

TIA. Dan Schwartz Received on Fri Mar 02 2001 - 15:01:20 CST