Re: Oracle Database Question

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 23:32:06 +0000

Brian Willis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm very new to Oracle and I have a customer who has an
> interesting
> question. I don't know if what he wants can be done.
>
> We run Oracle 7.4 on a Solaris platform. My customer wants
> to know if we
> can have our Enterprise 3500 server be a central location of a
> database and have other servers (that are overseas) connect
> into our server and populate the database.
>
> Others in my office have speculated that since we are using
> a TCP/IP
> connection, we probably won't be able to keep a steady
> connection, with all the time outs that might occur.
>
> Is this do-able and if so, where can I learn more about it?
> I appreciate
> the help!!
>
> Brian Willis
> Ilex Systems
>
> Brian Willis
> briwillis_at_yahoo.com

Yes you can, but ----

Before you do anything, have your customer upgrade to a supported version of Oracle. Oracle 7.x is no longer supported. From a practical point of view this means that if you have a problem and call Oracle support or use Metalink and the problem is already in the database Oracle will cheerfully provide you with a solution, but if you encounter a problem that isn't in the database you are on your own.

Some of the alternatives that you may want to consider include; replication, database links, e-mailing data as flat files and then using SQL*Loader, exporting from the remote host and then importing into the central server. The best choice will, of course, be dictated by the specific requirements of your customer.

--
Jerry Gitomer
Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one