Newbie-Update with Mulitple Tables

From: Peter Kalapuziak <peteropd_at_getnet.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 16:54:23 -0700

I'm new to Oracle SQL syntax - have used DB2 and Sybase and done the following quite easily with them, however not with Oracle. I'm currently developing in Personal Oracle 8i.

I'm having a problem getting to the Oracle syntax of updating a column in one table using the value of another. What I want to do is the equivalent of:

Update TABLEA set TABLEA.Amount = (TABLEA.Amount + TABLEB.Adjustment) from TABLEA, TABLEB
WHERE TABLEA.Period = TABLEB.Period AND TABLEA.Day = TABLEB.Day AND TABLEB.Type = 'A';

I've looked for this answer in many books, some Oracle based and others more general SQL types. They all show the "simpler" forms, but not something like this example specific to Oracle. I've tried many variations but all are syntactically incorrect.

I have no problems doing many other SQL functions in Oracle 8i, just this one is causing me headaches - I'm sure the answer is very simple.

Thanks in advance and would appreciate any help.

Peter K. Received on Sun Feb 25 2001 - 17:54:23 CST