Re: LONG column in Reports

From: <jlchiappa_at_yahoo.com.br>
Date: 16 Feb 2001 10:43:35 GMT

Hi ! The seagate support is plain wrong, Oracle (any version) don´t have support for manipulating LONG fields (the manuals clearly states : LONGs can´t be in WHERE clauses, in string functions like SUBSTR, etc). If you are using 8i,
you can convert the LONG fields in LOB fields , and use the built-in LOB-related functions/procedures to manipulate it.   If you are using 7.x , you can read the initial 32K of a long field using PL/SQL or PRO*C, otherwise your options will be veri limited.

[]s

     Chiappa