Initcap screws spanish characters

From: RazorWings18 <razorwings18_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:01:50 GMT

I´ve got an issue with the Initcap function I need to solve as soon as possible:
My (Oracle8)database is currently storing several records containing spanish characters like ñ, á, é, í, ó and ú. NLS_LANG is set to SPANISH, and I can both store and retrieve these characters. But when using the Initcap function in a SQL query to get records containing these characters they're screwed up and, for example, returns "Espaqa" when it should return "España".

Here's a sample query:

SELECT
         INITCAP(name)
FROM
         COUNTRIES
ORDER BY
         name;

returns

name

Canadq                       (should be Canadá)
Espaqa                       (should be España)
Gran Bretaqa                 (should be Gran Bretaña)

The funny part is that no such thing happens in our staging server, even though ini and several other files look just the same.

Any ideas are most welcome.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Mon Jan 29 2001 - 11:01:50 CST