Re: kproc

From: <tgphelps50_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 15:58:59 GMT

In article <3a727143.714056_at_news.mpx.com.au>,   edlinnell_at_acslink.net.au (Ted Linnell) wrote:
> If more are needed they are started as required , up to the maximun,
> and owned by the user who started them.

Something that may not be obvious, and that can cause a poor Oracle DBA untold trouble, is that these kproc processes retain the ulimit characteristics of the user that happened to start them. If you have Oracle datafiles that are of a size that exceeds some poor mortal's ulimit (easy to happen) and that poor mortal causes an "aio kproc" to start, and then later that process is used by an Oracle async I/O, Oracle's disk I/O fails for no apparent reason to the unsuspecting DBA, and Oracle crashes. And restarting Oracle doesn't fix the problem.

So, you want to make sure that this doesn't happen, either by (1) making min=max aio processes so root starts them all, or (2) making sure that the Oracle user starts those processes. No, I don't know how to accomplish (2).

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Sun Jan 28 2001 - 09:58:59 CST