Re: Recover from a deleted table

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:34:19 -0000

Well you can recover a tablespace to a specific point in time. There are conditions where this would involve no data loss (for example read only tablespaces). However this functionality was only introduced in Oracle 8.1 (I believe It could be 8.0.5 but I don't have the docs for that version. It is NOT available for a 7.3.4 database.

As the original poster says the options depend somewhat on your backup strategy. You state that you have the archive logs so what you could do is recreate the database elsewhere and then perform timebased recovery on this copy database. At this point export from the copy database and impot into the original production database. If you don't have the necessary backups to do this then you would have to import from an old export, prior to dropping the table. This may, and probably will, involve data loss. If you can get hold of a copy of the backup and recovery course notes this very scenario is covered in them. There used to be excellent documentation at Howard Rogers site on geocities but this seems to have gone AWOL.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA