Re: UTL_FILE.FOPEN and Unix Permissions

From: Holger Kreft <Holger.Kreft_at_sutter.de>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:10:05 +0100

Hi Christopher,

"Christopher Burke" <craznar_at_hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:90257F332craznar_at_130.102.2.1...
> I have a directory /var/logs/bob
>
> /var/logs drwxr-x--- bob admin
> /var/logs/bob drwxrwx--- bob admin
>
> I have /var/logs/bob in my INIT.ORA file.
>
> I have made oracle a member of the admin group.
>
> I write a log file 'test.log' into /var/logs/bob successfully when I am
> logged into both Unix AND Oracle as bob.
>
> It creates a file like
>
> /var/logs/bob/test.log -rw-r--r-- oracle oinstall
>
> This means that a process owned by oracle has created the file 'test.log'.

This is the usual behaviour of the system: The UTL_FILE functions - most interesting: the file access on Unix - are executed by the database processes owned by the Unix(!) user which started the database (usually named "oracle"). The name of the Oracle(!) user calling the UTL_FILE functions does not matter. As I know all Oracle users writing and reading files via UTL_FILE have the same access rights. If one can read or write it - all can read or write it.

> The problem is that I cannot get other users to write to this log file...
> don't want to put them all in the admin group - I just want to log their
> calls to several stored procedures.

So, this should not be a problem. (Did you try it?) The problems may begin as you want several Unix users to access the file. Then you have to check the "umask" of the Unix user "oracle".

May be I am wrong, but I think your failure is to mix the meaning of users on Oracle and users on Unix. They are independend from each other - even if you give them the same names.

regards

Holger Kreft Received on Wed Jan 10 2001 - 03:10:05 CST