Re: How can i select the new(or newly updated) records if there is no timestamp filed in my table?

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:22:53 GMT

In article <3A5B1B75.371CD79F_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>,   Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:
> Bill,
>
> You can use Logminer to help you, but it's a long road to travel.
>
> If you really have a requirement that you need to know when a row was
> inserted or updated, then you'll need to include another column in
 your
> table with the timestamp. You can then use a trigger to update the
> timestamp on INSERT or UPDATE.
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> "newshost.unx.sas.com" wrote:
> >
> > How can i select the new(or newly updated) records if there is no
 timestamp
> > filed in my table of Oracle Database?
> >
> > Are there any Oracle system options that i can trace these records?
 Or exist
> > other tools to help me?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bill Ding,
> > Oracle Developer
>
> --
> Brian Peasland
> Raytheons Systems at
> USGS EROS Data Center
> These opinions are my own and do not
> necessarily reflect the opinions of my
> company!

Brian provided the most practical answer, but if the need to know this is temporary and the number of rows modified is not large then you might be able to use the 'audit' command. I can not remember if the rowid is stored when you audit at the table row access level or not, and since I do not currently have auditing running I can't check this quick enough to reply, but it should take more than 15 minutes for you look into this to see if it is an option.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/