Date format in SQL*plus limited to 9 characters??!!

From: Alan Long <alan.long_at_motorola.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 12:53:25 -0000

I'm using Oracle 8 SQL*plus on NT4

A simple "select sysdate from dual" correctly produces:

SYSDATE

09-jan-01

I then change the date format with "alter session set nls_date_format = 'dd-mon-yyyy'"

"Select sysdate from dual" produces:

SYSDATE

09-jan-20

The last 2 characters have been truncated.

I then try a column format command "column mydate format a14"

"select sysdate mydate from dual" results in:

MYDATE

09-jan-20

The column header has changed to 14 characters but the date is still limited to 9 characters.

I've used other versions of SQL*plus and have no problem...... I can display date/times like '20-Dec_2000 19:57' . It looks like some system default is constraining my current version of SQL*plus.

Any idea how I fix this? It must be trivial!

--
Regards,
Alan