Re: kproc

From: Paul Bennett <spacey845_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:51:38 GMT

In article <3a5d798e.3941485_at_news.mpx.com.au>,   edlinnell_at_acslink.net.au (Ted Linnell) wrote:
> Greg Wimpey <greg.wimpey_at_westerngeco*removetomail*.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Paul Bennett <spacey845_at_my-deja.com> writes:
> >
> >> about a dozen different kproc processes running, all owned by user
> >> oracle and all started within a second of each other.

 [snip]
> >They are processes providing kernel
> >services (thus the name "kproc"). I would suspect that they are
> >asynchronous IO servers. You can verify this with the "pstat -A"
> >command. If you see these processes listed as "aioserver", then
> >that's what you've got.

 [snip]
> I'll second this. Having recently gone through the exercise of tuning
> Async I/O.

A Big Shiny Gold Star for each of you! They are indeed "aioserver"s

I had been unconcerned about them, since they seem(ed) to disappear.

Now I kwon what they are however, their disappearance is a mite more worrying.

Should they disappear all by themselves? Are there any "common pitfalls" that might kill them without any blatantly obvious warning? Could they die with a memory leak? Is this why my users are running out of user processes intermittently? Arrrrgh.

TIA, all suggestions welcome,

---
Pb
My opinions are my own and should not be taken as
representing any other group or entity.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/