Re: Oracle: how many instances?

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 00:48:49 GMT

You have a lot of good advice from people. At this point you'd have to get more specific. Are you running the standard or enterprise edition? Do you need a Java pool? What sizes are your SGAs? In general, 25 instances would probably be too many for your server. Also, to handle 25 instances on a single server you shouldn't need an assistant if the instances are set up properly to begin with.

Van

<bsidba_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:932gn4$odt$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> I wish! Unfortunately the schema name is hard coded in the application
> which is why I have to have separate instances.
>
> In article <932c5h$jud$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> steveee_ca_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a possibility to create schemas within instances instead of a
> > whole new instance for each group of users? If so, you can cut your
> > demand for resources..
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > In article <932205$a6c$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > bsidba_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > > Thank you so much for your reply. I realize that 25 instances with
 the
> > > configuration below is a little ambitious. Truth be known, I will
 more
> > > than likely stop at around 15 to 20 instances and marketing is
 telling
> > > me that many of the instances will have 5 or less users.
> > >
> > > You are right about the memory. I had actually already told them
 that
> > > I would need 4GB of RAM to support that many instances which still
 is
> > > not ideal but I am planning on creating small SGA's for some of the
> > > smaller instances with 2 to 3 users.
> > >
> > > The system will have 17 to 18 disk drives (5 arrays of RAID-1 so I
 will
> > > actually have about 11 to 12 drives to work with). This will allow
 me
> > > to totally separate tablespaces, logs, etc. and therefore eliminate
 any
> > > I/O contention within an instance. However, I will have I/O
 contention
> > > between the instances. I am running the same drive configuration on
> > > our development machine and have not noticed any performance
 problems
> > > however, the number of users on this development machine is
> > > significantly less than I am planning for this new machine.
> > >
> > > I have spoken to the network guys and they don't seem to be real
> > > concerned about the network traffic. And regarding the DBA task, it
 is
> > > my understanding that I will be getting an assistant soon (I hope!).
> > > However, you raised a good point about the processes. I will be
 doing
> > > some more research into that.
> > >
> > > Based on everything I have said above, do you think that I am still
> > > reaching or is 10 to 15 instances all that I can really hope to run
 on
> > > this server? Thank you again for your reply and any more
 information
> > > that you or anyone else can supply will be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks

 is
 going

 with