Re: Installing 8.1.6 client on Windows 2000 Pro

From: res0642b <res0642b_at_gte.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 03:38:01 GMT

Sometimes the Java installer can be slooooooooooowwwwwww. Go have a cup of coffee.

Also, check these things:

(1) Sufficient swap file
(2) Oracle drive is not full
(3) Windows drive is not full (very important!)
(4) You have sufficient permissions to install on the appropriate drives
(just set local "everyone" to "Full control" on all drives)
(5) Other process are not running and stealing disk i/o or hogging memory
(6) Machine is not swapping due to lack of memory resources
(7) CD is not scratched and worn out
(8) CD reader is clean

If none of these are the problem, try doing a custom install of just one component at a time. Try to find out what component is being installed when it hangs. Remember, the best way to eat an elephant is one byte at a time.

hth,

Jack
Senior dba @ http://www.xol.com