Re: Oracle 8.1.5 -- set up admin account

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:12:13 -0000

Hi

These are pretty common questions and so the usual adfvice to read at least the Oracle Concepts manual applies. Never the less comments embedded

"tim leung" <m_010_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3a502730.10138818_at_enews.newsguy.com...
> Hi,
> I justed install oracle 8.1.5 enterprise on my win2000 machine. But It
> didn't ask me to set any administrator password. Any one knows how can
> I set an admin account that has all privilege.

By logging in as an appropriately privileged account and granting the dba role to the userid of your choice.

eg In sqlplus

grant dba to scott;

> My friend told me to use scott / tiger to login to SQL*Plus. Is this
> the default account whenever I create a new DB?

No it is created in the default database created by the installer. scott/tiger is a demo account complete with demo tables. If you are familiar with MS products it is the equivalent to the northwind data set.

>Does scott / tiger
> has all the admin privilege?

No.

 >When I login, is the host string is same
> as SID?

No. you have to create database aliases in your tnsnames.ora file. These contain full connect descriptors for all the databases you wish to connect to.

> I had create another DB and it show 3 accounts. What's the difference?
>
> INTERNAL : oracle
> SYS : change_on_install
> SYSTEM : manager

These are the default accounts and passwords for all Oracle databases.

Internal & SYS can be thought of as the same account (and internal will shortly be desupported). This is the owner of the database and has full (sysdba) privileges.

SYSTEM is the default administrator of the the database, and has DBA privileges.

> When I take a look what's inside the database. It has many tables that
> I don't need.

No it doesn't. It has many tables and other objects which you do not understand. These are owned chiefly by sys and system and are there to make various features of the database work.

> Any way I can create a DB without any tables in it,
> just like mySQL?

Just create a new userid (or use the scott id). By default it will not be able to see any of the system tables.

> Can I delete those tables?

Not without breaking your database.

welcome to Oracle and I hope these answers get you going..

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA