Re: How to shows Chinese?

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 15:03:23 GMT

In article <3A4ADAA0.597D181A_at_hknet.com>,   Diviner <diviner_at_hknet.com> wrote:
> I have installed Oracle8i v8.1.6 for Linux and built a database also.
> tried to
> insert some Chinese character inside but can't see that from Client
> side.
>
> I diagnosed my status are:
> - I can insert and view Chinese very well from server side.
> - I can handle Chinese from client side while through Telnet to access
> server.
> - I checked two parameters from server,
> NLS_TERRITORY = "TAIWAN"
> NLS_LANGUAGE = "TRADITIONAL CHINESE"
> - I added NLS_LANG environment variable on Client side as
> "TRADITIONAL CHINESE_TAIWAN.ZHT16BIG5"
> - Chinese message of sqlplus or svrmgrl from client side is work
> properly.
>
> But I still can get any Chinese data are becomes confusion like:
> select name from stuff ;
>
> Name
> ---------------
> 3/,W%A
>
> Obviously, it is not a Chinese and even it is not a big-5 code because
> the string is starting by "3" which its internal code is 31 in hex.
> All Chinese characters starting by a character which internal code is
> over 127.
>
> How to solve the problem? Thank you very much.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Diviner Chan.

Verify the character set of your database by issuing select * from nls_database_parameters or select * from sys.props$. My bets are it will list US7ASCII. If that's true you need to change the character set of the database. Refer to the alter database command on how to do this.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply