Re: moving database on raw devices

From: Ronald J.H. Rood <ronr_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:13:52 GMT

In article <RyrY5.2767$d62.174974_at_bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,   "Bonnie Steinman" <BJSteinman_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> I am attempting to move a database created on raw devices. The
> server is Oracle 8.1.6. All the datafiles are operating system links
> to the raw devices. Of the logfiles, each first member is also an
> operating system link to a raw device. Each second member is
> a regular file. All the control files are regular files.
>
> We thought that since the datafiles are all links, we could shutdown
> the database and do a block-by-block copy of each raw device,
> re-link to those new raw devices, startup the database and be back
> in business. However, after going through this process, we got the
> following message on startup and couldn't open the database:
>
> ORA-01157 cannot identify/lock data file 1 - see DBWR trace
> ORA-01110 data file 1: STRING CONTAINING DATAFILE PATH
>
> I looked up the error messages and it says
> ORA-01157
>
> A couple of issues I'm wondering about:
>
> Would it make any difference if the links were created by root or
> by the oracle account?

No, it does not matter. root will be the owner anyway.

> Would it make more sense to make the new raw devices connect
> to a new link and to do an ALTER DATABASE RENAME DATAFILE
> instead?

It could have worked but I prefer the way you chose earlier.

> Can you think of any other reason why this would have failed?
Have you also moved to another ORACLE_HOME ? I remember such a thing from a while ago. I rebuilt the controlfiles and all was fine.

 We're under some pretty serious time pressure. I'd appreciate
> any information any of you can offer.

Hi Bonnie
Next time, start making a textual backup of the controlfile. Do the move and recreate the controlfile after that. I think it will put live back in the db.

BTW: which os are you using ? On aix you have to be a little more carefull copying raw devices. You have to skip the LVCB.

--
Ronald
http://ronr.nl/unix-dba

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/