HELP! ORACLE 8I INSTALL QUESTIONS

From: joe <god_lou_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:55:52 GMT

I have to install 8i on a server on a NOVELL network with windows 98 clients accessing the server. Some workstations have 64 megs of ram and some have 32megs of ram and between 2-15 gigabytes of hard drive space. Our Professors will be teaching a class using oracle teaching SQL/PLUS and the students will need to connect from home, and a computer lab (client). We will have about 40-60 students logged into server at one time.

Questions are:
1. This needs to be web enabled( I'm not sure what that means)so how is this done? ...what else in terms of software do I need to load? web designer? with ODBC (API) and the server must be up and running 24/7. 2. Should I include in the purchase of a server a tape backup etc? 3. How much memory, processor speed(dual processors?), hard drive space, do I need to have this function well and not to slow? What do you recommend? 4. What would be the recommended Operating System NT4 or 2000 server or advances server etc?
5. What do I need on the clients workstations minimum to connect to the server in terms of ram and hard drive space? If they are connecting from home would the 56K modem connection be to slow to test if their application works.
6. What else needs to be installed to make the connection to the database(Web Designer)?
7. If I am administering this database do I administer from a client workstation or the server itself? Meaning will I have to get a good client loaded with lots of extra ram and Hard drive space?

     The school has all the disks needed, about 98 cd-rom's total to load all the applications which I'm sure I don't have to do. Eventually they may expand the program. I won't be teaching, just administering the database, creating the id's, and maintaining it. Will this be good experience in getting a job as an Oracle DBA? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lou

--

Click here for Free Video!! Received on Sat Dec 09 2000 - 19:55:52 CST