Re: How to copy DB with larger DB_block_size to server.

From: <yunhuiyang_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:22:38 GMT

Thank you, Sybrand. I think I have to go back to exp/imp now.

I tried to bypass exp/imp because I had the problem use the direct path exp on RedHat Linux 6.1, the dump file just couldn't be used in import.

Thank you again.

Helen

icle <974814373.9347.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,   "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> Do I understand you correctly you want to change the db_block_size by
> recreating the control file?
> Given the physical structure of the database (with header blocks in
 files,
> tablespaces, and tables), it would mean that all header blocks would
 have to
> be recreated, all extents would have to be rearranged, and so on.
> So this is evidently which is possible *only* by recreating the
 database, no
> other solutions, sorry.
> So, you have to export, recreate the database after changing init.ora
 and
> import, that's the only solution.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> <yunhuiyang_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, all:
> >
> > I'm looking for the solution for the following problem.
> >
> > 1. I have a server with 3 instances runing, all having
 DB_block_size=2k.
> > 2. I want to copy a database with DB_block_size=8k to above server
 by
> > recreating control file.
> >
> > Can I do it?
> >
> > I tried and failed. If I use DB_block_size=8k, the DB can't be
 created
> > eventhough it can be create with 4k. I couldn't either use 2k or 4k
> > recreate the control files, since it's smaller than the orignal
 block
> > size.
> >
> > Any way get out from here?
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > Helen
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 21 2000 - 10:22:38 CST