Re: PB6.5 and Oracle 8i

From: Cliff Dabrowski <cliffdw_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:46:39 GMT

Oscar,

This error indicates a problem trying to resolve the name of the database you are trying to connect to. I have included a link that explains the error further but it is not to complicated to resolve.

I would suggest posting your TNSNAMES.ORA file and information on what DB you are trying to connect to. Also include whether you are running a single or multi-home environment, client versions and your OS version then maybe I can help further.

If you only use a single TNSNAMES.ORA file then the easiest thing to do (regardless of your use of single vs. multi-home's) is to set the TNS_ADMIN environment variable.

ORA-12154 TNS:could not resolve database name http://technet.oracle.com/support/bboard/content/500.htm

Hth,

Cliff

"Oscar Garcia" <oscgarcia_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3a194e55$1_2_at_news.arrakis.es...
> HI!
>
> I get the 6.5.1 Maintenance but still I can't connect to my DB.
> I copy the RSF for Oracle 8.0.5 but it seems not to work.
> The situation now is that with the OR8 the error missage is : "Error while
> trying to retrieve text for error ORA_12154".
>
> Thank you for any help!
>
> Shaavik <shaavik_at_yahoo.com> escribió en el mensaje de noticias
> 8v6j3a$3ps$1_at_wanadoo.fr...
> >
> > "Oscar Garcia" <oscgarcia_at_hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news:
> > 3a141ef1$1_4_at_news.arrakis.es...
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > We use to work with PowerBuilder6.5 and Informix but eventually we
 have
> > > connect our
> > > PB6.5 application to a ORACLE 8.1.6 DB.
> > >
> > > When I try to create a profile using the PB6.5 native driver for
 Oracle8
 an
> > > error message appears with this text : "Could not find ORA803.DLL".
> > >
> > > I also tried to create a profile using Oracle 7.3 PB native driver but
 when
> > > I try to connect another error message appears : "error with the
 protocol
> > > adapter".
> > >
> > > Witch should the best way to connect my PB6.5 app to an Oracle 8.1.6
 DB?