Re: Q:Table designing issue?

From: <xsun1913_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:03:35 GMT

George -

 Thanks very much for showing a possible solution. I am not very familiar with the LONG type. I guess if our application needs to select/update only one attribute (say, the location of a multimedia object), the whole C structure data has to be read from and written back to a LONG field. I don't know the impact on database performance. The flat file for metadata is an interim solution. Our goal is to get rid of the flat file and put everything into Oracle database.

Xuening Sun

In article <8uq5p5$v24$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   George Ye <qiangye_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> How about using LONG type to store the data of your structures?
>
> I mean you can create a table which has one LONG type column. LONG
 type
> could be as large up to 2GB. You can insert the whole C structure data
> into this column, just simply as a copy. After you retreive the data
> from the table, use cast to convert the data into that structure.
>
> Please refer to the manual book of the data type of Oracle.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 14 2000 - 13:03:35 CST