Re: Q:Table designing issue?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:27:30 -0000

With reference to the previous post,
you shouldn't use LONGs in Oracle 8,
these have been superseded by BLOBs
and CLOBs.

Alternatively, you don't seem to have an identifier for each element of the type, but how about:

create table assets (

    id                number primary key,
    flags            number,

    comment varchar2(256)
);

create table a_type (

    id number references assets,

    attribute1 char(1),
    attribute2 char(1),
    attribute3 char(1),
    attribute4 char(1)

);

create table b_type(

    id number reference assets,     rate1 number,
    rate2 number
)

create table c_type (

    id number references assets,
    attribute5har(1),

    attribute6char(1),
    attribute7char(1),
    attribute8char(1)

);

Many other details and options to consider and fill in. In particular there is no limit on the number of structs associated with each asset.

Alternatively, for an object approach:

create type a_row as object(

    attribute1 char(1),
    attribute2 char(1),
    attribute3 char(1),
    attribute4 char(1)

);

create type a_table as varray(26) of a_row;

similar code for b_row, b_table, c_row, c_table; then

create table assets (

    a_struct    a_table,
    b_struct    b_table,
    c_struct    c_table,
    flags        number,

   comment varchar(256)
);

On the whole I prefer the relational approach to

the object-like approach, but for a small database
the object-like approach might be friendlier for
your front-end coders.

--

Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases

Publishers:                 Addison Wesley Longman
Book bound date:     8th Dec 2000
See a first review at:
http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/index.htm#practical_8i