Re: Need a little Script Help

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:07:23 GMT

In article <3A0B0234.4AE5D1C6_at_bridgewatersystems.com>,   Tony Walby <tony.walby_at_bridgewatersystems.com> wrote:
> Was wondering if one of you great DBA's out there can help one of us
> Intermediates.
>
> Here's the issue. I need to write a script that will return the count
 of

> records in all my objects then do size estimation on that table for a
> recreate. What the Initial and the next should be. I was thinking of
> creating a temp table and storing the record count then storing the
> bytes/1024 "KB" from the v$segment view then a select on the temp
 table
> for (record_count/KB)/4 for initial and next. I am trying to get them
> into 4 extents. Does anybody have a better idea or way of doing this.
>
> Tony

I suggest you consider using one extent size for the entire tablespace or a limited series of sizes where each size is a multiple of the previous size as in 64K, 1M, 10M. Then if an object needs more than say 10 extents you move it to the next extent size. When a table has too many of the largest extent size in the tablespace you move it to another tablespace that contains large extents. The best sizes to use depend on your tables and their current size and expected growth.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.